Thursday, September 14, 2006

Decision almost made - Nikon D80

I feel like some politician flip flopping on issues. The one big difference is that I am not trying to evade questions. In fact I am trying to answer questions posed to me by me :-)

Earlier I indicated that I was leaning towards purchasing a Canon 30D. I still believe that the 30D is a great camera. Essentially both Canon and Nikon offer great camera systems. I have mentioned earlier in my posts that buying an SLR or DSLR is a lot more than just buying a camera. Its about buying into a company that can offer a vast array of equipment and accessories for years to come. For anyone who is serious about photography or learning photography, in the long run the camera will matter less and the lenses and accessories will matter more.

As time goes by I have looked at some additional reviews and sample pictures from the Nikon D80 including some high ISO pictures. A popular criticism of the Nikon D80 is that it has poor high ISO performance. Most of this criticism comes from the fact that Nikon uses a Sony CCD which gives some pretty poor high ISO results.

However, based on a few high ISO pictures I have seen of the Nikon D80, I find that the D80 pictures are better. I have even shown teh pictures to friends without telling them which camera they came from and people tend to select the D80 pictures. Even at high ISO. This is in comparison to the Canon 30D.

The most ppoular camera review site www.dpreview.com , however, has not yet reviewed and compared the Nikon D80 to the Canon 30D. Here is an example of a high ISO Nikon D80 picture from the D80 review at http://www.dcresource.com

Nikon D80 at ISO 1600: http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/nikon/d80-review/nightshot1600.jpg (if image does not show then just hit refresh on the page)

Please read the full review at http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/nikon/d80-review/

Canon 30D at ISO 1600: http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/canon/eos_30d-review/nightshot1600.jpg (if image does not show then just hit refresh on the page)

Please read the full review at http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/canon/eos_30d-review/

I have also heard that the canon D30 should be compared to the Nikon D200 not the D80. I disagree. The D80 has all the features the Canon 30D has. The 30D is slightly faster and is $200 - $300 more expensive.

So, lets do another review of the Canon 30D vs the Nikon D80.

  1. The D80 is cheaper by $200
  2. The D80 offers all features that the Canon 30D does, except for time elapsed photography.
  3. The Canon 30D has 1/8000 max shutter speed the D80 is at 1/4000. (Not sure where I would use either).
  4. D80 has multiple exposures capability. I believe the only DSLR that offers this.
For $200 less and in my opnion equivalent quality pictures I think the Nikon D80 is a good camera to buy. With regards to lenses etc the Nikon and Canon family are equally large.

So until I have another swing in my way of thinking I think the Nikon D80 is the way to go.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Go Nikon!

6:10 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

6:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home